12/6/12

Mark Wade Writes:

TRAVEL PLANS NEED TO WORKED OUT WHEN PERFORMING

Has this happened to you?  You get a show scheduled, but somehow on the day of the show you are running behind, need gas in the car, and are not quite sure what route to take to make it to your date.  I think this has happened to all seasoned performers at one time or another.  Here's what I learned about how to overcome some of this..and it's all practical advice, but can make a big difference.

One of the FIRST things I learned when starting out doing library or school shows is to GAS UP THE CAR THE NIGHT BEFORE!  That means before you go home, or to your hotel room find a gas station and fill up the gas tank.  I learned about this from Dick Oslund, a premier kidshow magician who played the school market for many years.  If you gas up before you have to leave, you don't have to take precious time out of your already late schedule to make the show date! Makes good sense to me !..and I've made this my golden rule.

Also do a Mapquest route or run the route through your GPS to see how long it will take to get to the date and if there is any road construction or detours on this route.  Here again our new technology helps in this area. Whatever time it takes to get to your show, add an additional 15 or 20 minutes on top of it.  You can use this time to stop for coffee, or make a bathroom break, or make up for oversleeping.

I also plan to be at the school or library at least 45 minutes ahead.  I don't actually need that much setup time, but I do it to calm the nerves of the principal or librarians.  You'd be surprised how many performers don't show up on time, or don't show up at all!  This way everyone is calm.

Remember, all these little things are a reflection on YOU and your show. Give them the BEST you can in all ways that  you can!!

You can contact me at:  markwade@kidshowvent.com

No comments:

Post a Comment