12/27/12

2012-C Hall of Fame Coin (Set #3)
PAUL WINCHELL
Paul Winchell (1922 – 2005) was an American ventriloquist, voice actor, comedian, inventor, and humanitarian, whose entertainment career flourished in the 1950s and 1960s. From 1950-1954, he hosted The Paul Winchell Show, which also used two other titles during its prime time run on NBC, The Speidel Show and What's My Name? From 1965-1968, Winchell hosted the children's television series, Winchell-Mahoney Time.

Winchell's best-known ventriloquist dummies were Jerry Mahoney and Knucklehead Smiff. Mahoney was carved by Chicago-based figure maker Frank Marshall.  The original Marshall Jerry Mahoney and one copy of Knucklehead Smiff are in storage at the Smithsonian Institution. The other two figures are in the collection of illusionist David Copperfield.  Winchell's career after 1968, included a great deal of voice acting for animated cartoons, most notably for Disney and Hanna-Barbera.  (From Wikipedia)
*   *   *   *   *
From Mr D: I first begame a Paul Winchell fan via his TV appearances during the 1950s.  When I decided to learn ventriloquism, my first practice sessions came as I spent hours reading and following the directions outlined on the pages of his wonderful book, Ventriloquism For Fun and Profit.  My first vent figure, Woody, was self-built, as I carefully followed Winchell's directions for building a figure (chapters 4-8, pages 57-138).  I practically memorized those pages.  Today, some 50+ years later, the illustrations are still fresh in my mind.   Until a few years prior to his death I enjoyed corresponding with Paul as I purchased quanitities of his book for resale through Maher Studios.
Today the only copy of Ventriloquism From Fun and Profit remaining in my collection is the one that belonged to Madeleine Maher.  It is an original first edition hardcover copy (1954 by Ottenheimer).  This book is as interesting, practical, and useful today as when first published!  It includes 8 pages of priceless photos from Paul's career!  (As a figure maker, my favorites are the pictures of Paul working in his basement workshop.)  The book's dust cover has tattered edges, but the book itself and all 221 pages are in superb condition.  The book is signed inside the cover by Mrs. Maher with her name and address. 

I've held this book for sale in timing with the release of the Paul Winchell Hall of Fame Collector coin.  Both Book and Coins are now listed for sale on eBay.  I have multiple sets of coins for sale, but only the one copy of Ventriloquism For Fun and Profit.  For sale now on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261146284184

No comments:

Post a Comment