1/21/11

"Who is it?"


Question: Here are some photos of Daniel. (Of course, I have no idea what his original name was!) I purchased him at Abbott's a few years back. If you can identify him, that will solve a mystery that has plagued me for years!
* * * * * *
From Mr. D: Okay, I can tell you for certain that your figure was made by Craig Lovik, and quite likely sold originally through Maher Studios of which I was owner. "Daniel" probably passed through my hands when first sold. The exact year I do not know, but because his neck is what I call the "drop through" style I know he was built in the mid 1970s. I'm pretty certain he was sold with the catalog name of "Buford Buckworth." The name O'Leary on the headpost would have been added by his owner at some point, and may have been the name of the owner or perhaps it was the name of the figure. More than likely, the owner. If only these guys could really talk!

2 comments:

  1. Awe! It's like looking at a photo of an old friend. I bought a Buford Buckworth from the Maher catalog *mumble-mumble* years ago, when I was around 12 or 13. (a big purchase for a kid--I saved my allowance and Christmas money for years before I could afford him.) My Buford had a ball and socket neck, so he was probably a later version, but otherwise that's him.

    Every time I visit this blog I'll find something that charms and delights me, but also makes me regret more and more having not continued with ventriloquism when I was younger. Part of why I've been trying to work up an act again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7/01/2011

    I can tell you for sure, this is NOT Buford Buckworth. I have a Buford figure and the only other one that I have seen, is on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete