12/15/10

Strings vs. rods

Question: Which is best for control linkage on a figure, strings? Or, rods?

* * * * *
From Mr. D: I prefer braided nylon string to brass rods - always have and I've worked with both. String is smoother, quieter, and believe it or not, string is less troublesome.

String is also easier to repair. Brass rods running through tubes have a tendency to "gum up" over a period of years...much harder to disassemble and clean the metal mechanic than it is to simply replace a string. And a high quality braided nylon string (or cord) will last indefinitely. Seldom do I receive a figure with a broken string.

That's my opinion. You can easily find another figuremaker who will argue just the opposite. But that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment